Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Don't Overwork. Don't Overspend...

Top of the afternoon to all.

One of my pet peeves is targeted overpricing.  That is where a product is greatly overpriced because the target consumer group will happily pay the extra.

Of what do I speak?  Jennifer and I went to the grocery store on Tuesday.  While we were there, I noticed Lieber's extra virgin olive oil in the kosher section.  It was marked at $32.99 for a 2-litre bottle.  That caught my eye.

I walked over to the aisle where all of the other oils are sold.  There, I found a 3-litre can of Colavita marked at $28.99.  I found other 3-litre cans at significantly less.

That is a 70% increase in price.  That is appalling.  The folks at Lieber's should be ashamed.  It is nothing less than a fleecing of the Jewish community.

I would not buy it.  It is not 'more' kosher.  Pesach is not a concern at all.  As such, there is no reason whatsoever to purchase a product with an unreasonably and unnecessarily inflated price.  Do not waste your money on it. Do not overspend.

If you choose to buy this product, do not pretend that Jewish Law requires you to do so.  It does not.  In fact, I would say the opposite.  Jewish Law requires that you not purchase it.  Why?  If you are one of the fortunate few who can afford to spend 70% more on a product, buy the cheaper product.  Take the 70% and donate it to your favourite tzedakah.  That tzedakah needs it more than the purveyors of grossly-overpriced goods.

R/SCG

No comments:

Post a Comment